Friday, April 27, 2012

Sesame Tuna Salad

EatingWell.com has got to become one of my regular stops on the internet. I ran across this recipe a couple of days ago and mentally filed it away. I was certain I had everything to make it, but soon after whisking together the dressing I realized that tuna, of which we usually have several cans at any given time, there was none. However, I did have some chicken thighs left over from a couple of nights ago, so I cut one into chunks and used that. The dressing was delicious and tasted just like the Chinese Chicken Salad I had at a restaurant once.

Tip on the fresh ginger:

I like to buy a knob and store it in a plastic bag in the freezer. Then when I want to use it, instead of messing around with peeling I just run the knob over the microplane.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/sesame_tuna_salad.html

Sesame Tuna Salad

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar or lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
  • 2 5- to 6-ounce cans water-packed chunk light tuna, drained
  • 1 cup sliced sugar snap peas or snow peas
  • 2 scallions, sliced
  • 6 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
  • 4 radishes, julienne-cut or sliced
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste

Preparation

  1. Whisk vinegar (or lemon juice), canola oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and ginger in a small bowl.
  2. Combine 3 tablespoons of the dressing with tuna, peas and scallions in a medium bowl.
  3. Divide cabbage among 4 plates. Mound one-fourth of the tuna mixture (about 1/2 cup) in the center of each plate and garnish with radishes, cilantro and sesame seeds. Drizzle with the remaining dressing (about 2 tablespoons per salad) and season with pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment